Prior to registering for the HECM Exam, please be aware of the following:
- Fee: $100 payable with a valid credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express). Refer to Cancellation/Refund Policy.
- The HECM exam is offered online only. You may schedule your exam 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 361 days a year.
- To register for the exam, you will need:
- Last 4 digits of your Social Security Number.
- Name of your Housing Counseling Agency. If you are not employed at an Agency, HUD has indicated that examinees should enter “No Agency”.
- HUD Housing Counseling System (HUD HCS) ID number. This is a five digit number that begins with an “8”. If you are not employed at an agency, HUD has indicated that examinees should enter “80000”.
Prior to taking the HECM exam, please be aware of the following:
- To take the exam, you must present a Photo ID that matches the name entered when registering for the exam.
- To take the exam, you will need a computer with Internet access and a working web camera and microphone that have passed the proctoring technical requirements.
- Students can test their computer readiness prior to the actual exam by going to https://support.proctoru.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036024511-How-do-I-test-my-equipment-.
- A web camera can be purchased at your local electronics retailer. The web cam must have a microphone for you to communicate with the test proctor.
- If you do not have access to a web camera or microphone, please email email@example.com for available options.
- To take the exam, you will need a portable reflective surface such as a mirror or back of a CD.
- Calculators and paper are not allowed during the HECM exam.